Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Marin Headlands!

Saturday afternoon and evening Nathan Yan's Photo Decal took a trip to the Marin Headlands, the other side of the Golden Gate Bridge. It was one of those impossible San Francisco days where there is not a SINGLE cloud in the sky. No fog. No rain. Just sunshine everywhere the eye can see. And, let me tell you, it was absolutely completely and utterly gorgeous. I cannot wait to live in San Francisco full time. :D 
On top of that, the company was perfect. What a wonderful way to spend my day: with my camera and a bunch of photographer buddies on the most beautiful day to be outside all year. 
Recommended listening while viewing this post: Train's "Save Me, San Francisco"
One of the biggest challenges when shooting something as iconic as the Golden Gate Bridge is that soooo many people have already shot it. Everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY, takes a photo of the Golden Gate Bridge when they visit. So how do you make your photo look different that the millions that have already been shot? ... 



That's my city <3 
Alcatraz



Pretty calla lilies! They were growing in such an unexpected place too: in the drainage to the ocean. Look at the majesty (:






I'm digging the colors/style/feel of this image. Am I allowed to say that about my own photo? :P



Oooo. Who knew rust could be so pretty.

Brace yourself. I am about to unveil the ABSOLUTE COOLEST MOST AMAZING THING EVERRR EVERRR to happen to me. Okay, maybe not #1 in my whole life, but I am going to put this on the top ten list. 
Background: This is Kirby Cove.  This is where my parents got married (yes, on the beach, with a view of the Golden Gate Bridge-yeee): <3 I had never been before, and now I have. And you can't see it in this photo, but this is where it was. What was it you say.... Well, children, I do believe I found a... 
SHARK!

Okay. I could be lying. I am not a Marine Biologist. I do not know these things for sure. But I believe I found one. A small one. A dead one. But a shark nevertheless. Awesomeness.


I spent a lot of time looking at sharks online but had no success. I never realized just how many sharks there are in the world!!! It's craaazyyy. 

I was a little bit disappointed with the available resources on sharks that I could find online. They were absolutely great, I'm sure, if you were looking for information on a specific kind of shark. Sharks are a popular sea creature. People look for information on them all the time. It is out there. But where the heck is the picture dictionary of sharks?! Sigh.
Look at that eye! Yowzers!

If somebody knows what this is PLEASE please please leave me a comment telling me what you think it is. I do want to know. I guess. Part of me doesn't; if it's not actually a shark and I'm just completely delusional I will be oh so disappointed. *pouts* 




















Anyways. I hope you are as excited as me about that find. I was just about bursting with excitement to look at the images. Actually, that's a bit of an exaggeration. I was bursting with excitement when I found it (heart palpitating, shutter clicking, breath quick and sharp--the whole bit) and then after, once I'd seen the photos, I did it all over again. But right after I finished shooting her, I promptly forgot all about her and moved on to shoot the rest of the day. Go figure. Ha ha.

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming: (including, but not limited to, an adorable little ladybug!)



And the California state flower: the California poppy.

Rodeo Beach at sunset. Oh how I've missed the edge of the continent. 

Some night shots nearby. I think it's a barracks and related buildings. But I'm not so sure...



My favorite part of this shot is that you can see the stars. (Click on the image to enlarge it--you can actually do that with every photo!)



This was the last shot of the night. Just a simple night image of the Golden Gate Bridge. It breaks my rule: I am sure everybody on the trip, not to mention thousands of photographers before me, have exactly the same image. But sometimes you have to break the rule because a photo just makes you happy. My dear San Francisco, I love you. <3 

I hope you enjoyed that extra super long post. Leave lots of comments. I am taking a poll on my creature: shark or not?!
<3  

8 comments:

  1. UPDATE! Rae said: as the resident marine biologist who has taken ichthyology and has even dissected a shark, yes, indeed that is a shark. poor sharkie :(

    Now I just wanna know what kind! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more UPDATE (the experts weigh in): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopard_shark

    ReplyDelete
  3. leopard shark. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Beautiful photos Simone! My fave is the one with the blue sneakers by the shark, lovely composition. So sad about the leopard shark though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm astonished by the unbelievable depth and beauty of your blog. I LOVED IT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. your city is nice!

    I wonder about that shark thing there,is it real?

    I guess it is,as what you've said there are a lot kinds of shark.. and this is my first time to see that type!

    Does it also eat human?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for all the comments! You guys rock! (: And I'm super glad you liked the photos (:

    @sydney photographers: The shark is real! It was a pretty crazy find, actually. It's a leopard shark as far as we can tell--you should look it up! The one I found was a baby (usually they're 4-5 feet long!) and since it was dead when I found it (sadness) it couldn't do much harm. But they totally eat stuff when they're bigger. Humans though? Probably not so much. And I'm glad you like San Francisco! Meee tooo! :D Drop by sometime! (:

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails